Saturday, 10 October 2009

Car style guide

Firstly, let me tell you a little about myself. I am obsessed with cars, even though I am not especially highly paid. Like a lot of people, I just love cars. They are the ultimate expression of engineering and evocative consumerism. I have no particular interest in art, architecture, clothing or any other form of aestheticism, but like a lot of men (and some women), I simply adore cars.

I want to make it absolutely clear that I am not someone who loves thrashing country roads. I drive reasonably slowly, but not a crawler either. I have no idea what most of the cars are like to drive, but I know that Ferraris are beautiful machines, old-style Subaru Imprezas are vulgar and TVRs are for men with hairy chests. That's not to say that I wouldn't love to drive all of them at some point, alas my competence behind the wheel would probably mean that I would crash at the first corner.

This fascination with the appearance of cars has led to car makers exploiting it to try to wrestle a quick sale, with women draping themselves over the bonnet of every car imaginable in order to help the maker. Even Postman Pat's van isn't immune from this.

If you're still reading this, either I have a stalker or you're as "in to" cars as I am. I had best crack on and get writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment