Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Range Rover Evoque

When I was about 13, I was tasked with chosing my subjects to study at school. To help us, our teachers at the time produced a report, and at the bottom of this was a little check box, a tick if you were recommended to study this subject, empty if you weren't recommended but could if you really wanted to or a cross if you were persona-non-grata.

As something of a geek, I got my report and every single report had a nice little tick. Except one. Art.

You see, the problem is, no mattter how hard I try, there is a total disconnect between what my brain thinks I'm drawing and what I actually produce. It's two entirely different things. So I'm absolutely abysmal at drawing, and I can't do a damn thing about it. Fortunately for me, there are people who ARE good at drawing, because life would be very boring indeed if everything was square and boxy, like Soviet cars.

And it's nice to see the progression of cars as they are designed. A concept sketch is normally first, with many different variations, each slightly different, to see what does and what doesn't work. Then, it gets more and more refined until eventually you get left with the final car which has some passing resemblance to the concept sketch, but that's about it. The reason is simple: only a total moron would drive a car that looks like the concept sketch.

Except, Land Rover seem to have done away with the refining steps and just used the concept sketch to produce the final Range Rover Evoque. And Range Rover drivers normally have deep pockets and a lack of humility. So if any car maker can get away with going straight from concept to car, it's Range Rover.

So this is a small SUV. A niche market that has recently appeared, but I have to say, it seems to be selling reasonably well. There are quite a few BMW X1s around where I live, even though there is no conceivable need for them.

The Evoque isn't exactly ugly, but it just looks a little brash and showy. But that's the direction Land Rover seem to be taking with Range Rover. Vulgar, for those who have money and want you to know. Except this isn't 2007, it's 2010. Nice car, timing's a little bit off though. But this will sell well to all those whose property portfolios lost value, so they can still maintain that they drive a Range Rover even though they don't. Expect to see a fair few on the road. 



No comments:

Post a Comment